Garden City Public Library
Security and Conduct Policy
a. Patrons are welcome to use the library, its materials, equipment and facilities, in a manner and to the extent consistent with the library's mission. Patrons whose conduct is inconsistent with the library's mission will be encouraged to conform their behavior or asked to leave the library. See Appendices A & B
b. In particular the following is prohibited:
- Bringing any dangerous or perceived dangerous weapon into the library, except in the case of law enforcement officials.
- Any criminal activity.
i. No illegal act or any conduct in violation of federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation will be tolerated on Library property.
ii. Any person who intentionally damages and/or defaces Library materials or attempts at theft "shall be guilty of a theft" and punishable as provided in Chapter 24, title 18. Refer also to Idaho Code§ 33-2620.
- Engaging in behavior which is disturbing to others.
- Bringing an animal into the library, other than an assistance dog for a physically disabled person. Exceptions may be made at the Library Director's discretion.
- Use of cellular telephones and/or other electronic devices must be considerate of others by turning ringers off, and confining their telephone conversations to the vestibule. See Appendix A
- Soliciting is not allowed in the library, except as authorized by the Library Director and the Library Board. This policy applies to campaigning, petitioning, interviewing, survey taking, soliciting for contributions or panhandling, selling, etc. Leaflets and/or notices for posting or distribution must be approved in accordance with the Library policy. See Appendix F
- Loitering, sleeping or harassing patrons or staff.
See Appendix A
- Consuming food or beverages in public areas of the library is discouraged but left to the discretion of the Director.
- Food and beverage are prohibited in computer areas.
- Alcohol or illegal drugs may not be brought onto the Library premises, nor may persons under the influence of either be in the Library premises.
- Smoking (including electric cigarettes, e-cigarette, e-cig and personal vaporizer or PV) or use other tobacco products in the library.
- Bringing into the library large bundles, packages or personal property which cannot be stored under a study chair or carrel surface.
- Being without clothing and footwear in the library.
- Using roller blades, skateboards, riding scooters, shoes with wheels, or bringing bicycles inside the library.
- Unattended children See Appendix B
c. Any library staff member observing a violation of this section should ask the patron to conform their conduct to the requirements of this policy. If the patron refuses, the supervisor on duty may ask the patron to leave the library; as appropriate, and/or call the Garden City Police to assist the matter. An incident report shall be filled out for all such incidents. At the Library Director's discretion a patron may have their library privileges revoked.
(Adopted 3-14-07, revised 1/9/2013 Garden City Library Board of Trustees)
|APPENDIX A.pdf||27.95 KB|
|APPENDIX B.pdf||47.49 KB|
|APPENDIX C 2013.docx||24.5 KB|
|APPENDIX D 2013.docx||17.52 KB|
|APPENDIX E 2013.docx||14.02 KB|
|APPENDIX F 2013.docx||16.19 KB|
|APPENDIX G Donations.pdf||23.12 KB|
|APPENDIX H Selection Policy.pdf||42.71 KB|
|Trustee Policy Manual 2012 approved7112012.pdf||1.21 MB|